Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter

We went to church today to bless our Easter baskets. My family is Polish, so this is one of our traditions. Tradition states that you bless the food that you will be eating on Easter Sunday. We fast (no meat) on Friday and Saturday, so by Sunday any meat we get tastes all the better lol! Traditionally the types of foods that go in to the baskets are: ham, bacon, Canadian bacon, salt, vinegar, sausage, eggs, butter and bread (each family has their own variations too..) Kids usually have their own baskets filled with candy and toys and such :)

So this morning we got up and colored our eggs and I put together mine and Evie's baskets. We met up with my entire family at Church to have them blessed. It's always been our tradition to go with the entire family.

After church, we went over to my parents' house to have lunch. Another tradition is that there is a soup that you eat on holy Saturday. It's made from the water left over from boiling the meat for Easter Sunday. You add garlic and a bunch of other stuff to it... It's sooo good!

I am happy to share these traditions with Evelyn. :) I hope she remembers this when she gets older!

Now I can't wait for Easter Sunday morning! My mom makes this awesome "meat salad" with all of the foods from her basket. It's seriously the one meal I look forward to all year lol!


Happy Easter to all!











No comments:

Post a Comment